– E-Coli / Total Coliform: Indicates that the water supply is contaminated with bacteria in some capacity, could spread various diseases such as hepatitis and dysentery
– Arsenic: Natural element; can lead to skin, circulatory, or nervous system issues.
– Nitrates / Nitrites: Common from fertilizers; very hazardous for infants and can lead to blue-baby syndrome
– Lead: Usually from lead pipes; can damage nervous system and kidneys; very problematic for children and pregnant women.
– Water PH and Hardness: build-up of hard water can lead to damaged pipes, low water flow, and increase of soap scum due to its interaction with soap.
– Fluoride: Can be natural, but usually added to city water; helps with dental hygiene, however can damage teeth if too high or low of levels
– Volatile Organic Compounds: Usually found near industrial areas; includes solvents, cleaners, fuels, etc.
– PFAS: These are contaminants such as GoreTex, Teflon, Scotchgard, and other such flame retardants and non-stick products. Plants that make these kinds of products were common in the mid-ohio valley, with the C8 issue being well known.